Tags archives: DIY cake month
- In our never ending curiosity about your weddings, we'd love to know about your cake plans. Please take a moment to answer our survey (it'll take about 2 minutes, tops) and do leave a comment if you'd like to share more about your plans!
- This is one of our most popular requests recently: a cupcake wrapper. What is it? It's a band of paper that wraps around the outside of a cupcake.
Sorry for the messy picture
1. Download the template here
2. Print it onto a piece of cardstock
3. Cut it out and use it to trace the shape onto pap[...]
- Hey DIYers,
I'm extending Cake Month through the entire month of June. There's just too how-to, resources, reviews, reader questions, and other confectionery goodness that I'm not able to squeeze into the remaining days of May.
For those of you who're just hearing about Cake Month, we're dedicating an entire mon[...]
- Later in this series I'll be recommending a few wedding cake books. Surprisingly, there are very few that are worth the money for beginning-intermediate home bakers. The best way to learn cake decorating techniques, in my estimation, is from good old hands-on experience. There's simply no substitution for wrestling wit[...]
One of the most important decisions you'll make about your DIY cake, and one that tortures many a would-be DIY cake maker, is what kind of cake to make. In a later post we'll go through flavor and filling options but this one's devoted to the boxed mix or scratch dilemma.
There are few debates as heated in the c[...]
- Throughout the month of May, we're discussing all DIY cake-related matters. Join us for how-to, tips, and inspiration.
Some of the most common cake-related questions are related to a popular cake icing called rolled fondant. (Most just call it fondant, though there are different kinds. More on that in a later post.[...]
- Before you commit to going for your DIY cake dream, let's look at the essential tools you'll need. Remember to budget for all of the tools & equipment you'll need to buy. It adds up quickly!
A working oven. (D'uh!)
An oven thermometer. Why? Many, many ovens are not calibrated which means that temperature insi[...]
- Throughout the entire month of May DIY Bride will be featuring do-it-yourself tips, inspiration, and instruction for making cakes, candy, and cookies.
Once you've decided that you'd like to explore making your own cake where, oh, where do you begin? Don't fret, my friends. In this post we'll discuss the [...]
- Throughout the entire month of May DIY Bride will be featuring do-it-yourself tips, inspiration, and instruction for making cakes, candy, and cookies. The the siren song of a do-it-yourself wedding cake is a hard one to ignore. It seduces. It cajoles. "Make me" it sings. "You know you want to. All the cool kids are d[...]
- You DIYers are a curious bunch. How do I know this? I look at my email in box every day. Questions, questions, questions come in all through the day and the night. I'm not complaining, of course, I'm just awed by many of the great queries that await me each day. For example, there's an increased interest in DIY weddin[...]
- If you've browsed Amazon or cruised through the cookbook aisle of your local book seller, you've undoubtedly noticed that there are lots (and lots and lots) of wedding cake books on the market. Not surprisingly, there are gems and there are clunkers hidden in the vast pool of offerings.
In my book search for this s[...]
- Your next major cake decision, and one that tortures many a would-be DIY cake maker, is what kind of cake to make. In a later post we'll go through flavor and filling options but this one's devoted to the boxed mix or scratch dilemma.
There are few debates as heated in the cake world as the use of boxed mix versus s[...]