Golriz + Devon
When I read through Golriz + Devon’s submission, I immediately knew that if we were to meet in person we’d be friends. They’re the quirky Goodwill-shopping, Wes Anderson-loving, art installation-at-our-wedding type of couple. My kind of people! And I think they’ll fit right into your tribe too. Their wedding has a real heart and soul that shines through. Awesome.
Bride & Groom: Golriz (bride) Devon (groom)
Wedding Date: 3 April, 2010
Wedding location: Marathon Village, Nashville, TN
What made your wedding creative:
We wanted every ounce of our wedding to burst with creativity, but my fiance and I were on a very tight budget. This was actually a blessing as it forced us to be really creative and think out of the box. Let’s just say we became regulars at the local Goodwill store! A friend recently described our wedding as looking like a Wes Anderson movie, so I think we achieved what we were aiming for!
What projects you DIY’ed:
- A massive paper and twinkly light ‘chandelier’ above our heads.
- An art installation with 18 hanging umbrellas, bare lightbulbs and 9 vintage TVs. The TVs streamed a slide show of pictures of the two of us set to music.
- Our wedding favors – we printed CDs with songs that we had written & recorded and put them in hand sewn fabric sleeves.
- Our centerpieces – willow lights with hanging strips of ribbon and bright yellow button mums.
- Cake toppers – little fabric birds.
- Cake stand – instead of purchasing/renting a stand for our 150 cupcakes we built one (using Cetaphil containers and cake boards!)
What obstacles did you face in planning a DIY wedding? How did you overcome them?
- Time! Hand crafting all the decorations took up a lot of time. Thankfully a few close friends flew in early for the wedding and we put them to work creating fabric flowers, centerpieces, and the large art installations.
Any other details that made your wedding special?
This wedding trailer gives a glimpse into how quirky and fun our wedding was:
Photography by Ryan Lash Photographyd