DIY Cake Month: Martha Stewart’s Wedding Cakes
If you’ve browsed Amazon or cruised through the cookbook aisle of your local book seller, you’ve undoubtedly noticed that there are lots (and lots and lots) of wedding cake books on the market. Not surprisingly, there are gems and there are clunkers hidden in the vast pool of offerings.
In my book search for this series I found that some cake books are outdated and, well, just plain frumpy. Others are meant to be inspirational eye-candy with no recipes or how-to. Some books deal only with decoration. Some are a combination of decor how-to & recipes. While many books have neat ideas or solid instruction, few books are truly outstanding. Martha Stewart’s Wedding Cakes falls into that outstanding category. A combination of inspiration, decoration how-to, and recipes this book exceeded my already high expectations.
What I loved about this book:
- Beautifully photographed cakes by the fabulous Wendy Kromer are truly inspiring.
- The book is very well-laid out from the basics of cake components and tips on selecting your perfect cake to recipes and decorating instructions.
- The range of cakes is diverse from Martha-esque classic and elegant to fun and whimsical (without being cheesy).
- The yummy recipes are scaled appropriately for wedding cakes, taking some of the guesswork out of the baking process.
- As with all of Martha’s DIY, the instructions are clear and concise.
- The cake display ideas are fabulous, creative, and within the skills/reach of most DIYers.
- Did I mention this is a gorgeous book? It is worthy of display on a coffee table.
- I’ve seen most of the cakes in MS Weddings. While it doesn’t take away from the quality of the book, I would’ve loved to see some brand new cake ideas.
- This may not be the best book for 1st timers. It is, however, a great companion if you’re taking decorating classes or have some experience under your belt.
- The list price is $60.00 though one can find it cheaper via Amazon or other discount retailers. I think it’s worth it because it’ll be on my shelf forever. Your mileage (and budget) may vary.